I'll admit it, I'm a dreamer. I spend a lot of time daydreaming. Some parts of life are really boring, such as standing in line at the grocery store, waiting for the stoplight to turn green, or when my darling husband is watching a hockey game. (He really likes hockey, and I really like him, so I only whine a little bit). Ever since I was a little kid I filled up the boring times with daydreams. I hear a lot of adults have outgrown this habit, but it's hard for me to believe. It's just so darned fun!
One of my favorite daydream themes is: "In MY perfect world....." But sometimes the world is just too big of a place to contend with. A smaller version is "In MY perfect city...." Here are some things that would exist if Horicon was MY perfect city:
A first rate, not-too-expensive coffee shop, open from 5:30 a.m. to at least midnight, 7 days a week. Several menu items would contain chocolate.
A small but well staffed art museum with a few precious treasures, a lot of local art, and classes for kids and adults alike.
Adult choirs and bands of all sorts.
Teenage garage bands. Can't help it. I was a teenager in the '90's.
Backyard chickens.
A Fourth of July parade and fireworks. Yes I know they are all alike. But a town just doesn't seem like a real town to me without Fourth of July celebrations.
Local craftspeople who make household stuff. I don't really even care what kind of stuff. If it's made well, priced well, and useful in my house, I'd rather buy it from a local producer. And by priced well, I don't mean cheap. If I wanted cheap crap for a cheap price that traveled 7,000 miles to get to my house and would definitely break in 2 years or less, I know where to by that already.
An open access science lab. My microbiology professor is responsible for this one. He helped me overcome my fear of the bunson burner, taught me how to make agar and how to use the autoclave. But now I'm not in school anymore!
O.K., that last one is a little weird. But it's a daydream, so that is allowed.
Now that I've subjected you to my wandering imagination, I'd like you to return the favor. What do you wish for? What would make Horicon the city of your dreams? I bet you've thought of something that hasn't crossed anyone else's mind. Take a risk and share it. If you'd rather just tell one person (me), go ahead and e-mail me at jrettmann@gmail.com.
Monday, May 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I want a City government who works with the citizenry instead of putting up constant roadblocks to progress. I want a City government who understands they have their jobs by OUR leisure and that they are beholden to us. I want a City government who sees our town not as some quaint afterthought, but as a genuine center of trade, local commerce, and art.
ReplyDeleteHow about a City with its own independent power generation from wind and solar? How about free public wi-fi? How about the coolest farm markets on either side of the Mississippi? How about a school system that brings people TO Horicon? How about a place where our valued institutions (i.e. Library) are held in esteem and supported?
Oh yeah, and sign me up for those chickens in my yard and a coffee shop downtown!
I'll take the coffee shop and fireworks!
ReplyDelete